Greybishop's Chess Set

An area to update those interested in my progress as I build a custom "Marvel Vs. DC" Chess Set. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

An old guy who you would find boring. Special skills include: Ability to eat a whole pizza in a single sitting, regardless of size; Amazing taste in comic book related apparel; My cleverest moments invariably occur when there's no audience.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The usual suspects...

Here are some scans (best to click and view them full sized) of the boxes and info sheets from the metal miniature sets I have.

I'm still waiting for Marvel's set #1 to arrive, but these are already here, so I'm posting what I've got.

Unfortunately, some of these have already been painted (poorly) and will require stripping the paint before I begin. I will document that process as well. The last picture I've posted is of the miniatures from Set #3 of the Marvel series and for whatever reason, they're shown fully painted by a professional. Mine aren't painted yet.

I will post actual photos of the miniatures before any work begins so that you can see the whole process unfold.

I have doubles of some of the sets to give me extra heroes and parts.

I will be "modding" many of these to make heroes that aren't in the sets. For instance, Dawnstar will become Hawkgirl. Eventually.

The next article will try to outline which heroes will be which chess pieces. For now, take a look at these.























































3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your line up is very creative and thinking outside the box.
When I read it I thought "What?!!", how could you have MM a king and not Superman especially if WW is a Queen? And Reed a king and She-Hulk a queen - OMG - that's blasphemy, why isn't Sue the queen? Or Prof. X a king and mutants are the pawns. Or Black Bolt and Medusa or Black Panther and Storm as king and queen.

Wow! Sorry. I'm a big nerd.

I love the DC sidekicks as pawns! That is brilliant!
I love how you have an almost FF and Avengers side of rooks/knights/bishops.
Clayface and Solomn Grundy and Bizzaro are great, they'd be cool as "dim witted" pawns along with Flash's enemies (especially as a parellel to Spidey's enemies). But Lex is not a king?

I know your limited by what's available. I really hope I don't offend you, just throwing out some thoughts and ideas. I love your chess set idea!

I like both DC and Marvel, but if I had to choose I say Marvel.

JDH

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger Greybishop said...

No problem JDH.
When it comes to picking the "Kings" I looked for a "strategic thinking" character rather than the most powerful. Who wants to play a game where Superman's big contribution is "Castling"?
As for the DC bad guys, I'd prefer Lex as the king, but no decent figure has surfaced. Same goes for Prof X. Darkseid would be a better Rook, because of his bulk anyhow. That might change.
"Queens" are tough. The chosen character has to be powerful and recognizable (and I have to have the figure). Sue Storm might work, but I'd have a lot to do to fix the bulky figure of "She-Hulk" to make her work as the wispy Sue.
Villains are even tougher. Emerald Empress might be better known now that the Legion has it's own cartoon show, but she's still a bit obscure. Who else do you use? I thought maybe Star Saffire, modded from the "Scarlet Witch" figure might be good. Hard to find the right mix.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked over the pictures you posted and they all look really cool. You're right though some are a bit obscure I vaguely remember some of the DC villians.
I loved teen titans.
Ultron and Kang look cool and Kang has the best pose. Batman too (my knees would blow out if I posed like that or my pants would rip).

JDH

Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home