Greybishop's Chess Set

An area to update those interested in my progress as I build a custom "Marvel Vs. DC" Chess Set. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

An old guy who you would find boring. Special skills include: Ability to eat a whole pizza in a single sitting, regardless of size; Amazing taste in comic book related apparel; My cleverest moments invariably occur when there's no audience.

Monday, May 17, 2010

First "Real" Pouring

Like I said earlier, the next posting on the subject of my chess set project would be the pics of my first official base pouring. Here they are.

I decided to pour the black pawns first, since I still need to paint the white bases to help them disappear into the plastic better. The black plastic is more opaque and the bases need no pre-treatment. I also intend to create slightly different bases for the back row figures, so for now I'm only ready to work on the pawns.


My first piece is a Stormtrooper. Here you see it gripped in my "helping hands" device, using two pieces of mold foam cut from a previous test mold to protect the finish from the metal teeth.


Poured.


After several hours of work, all 8 Stormtroopers have been successfully secured into their bases.



I had enough plastic left to do the first 4 Marvel Villain pawns as well.


With the tests I poured, I have calculated how much plastic comes with each kit and not surprisingly, the rest of the pieces are going to take quite a bit of plastic to make, adding up to a not insignificant expense. I think the results are worth it though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home