Greybishop's Chess Set

An area to update those interested in my progress as I build a custom "Marvel Vs. DC" Chess Set. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

An old guy who you would find boring. Special skills include: Ability to eat a whole pizza in a single sitting, regardless of size; Amazing taste in comic book related apparel; My cleverest moments invariably occur when there's no audience.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Bounty Hunters and Setbacks

The FINAL Star Wars Miniature showed up in the mail today.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Greedo, who's role on the board is that of Imperial Knight.


















In a less happy development, yesterday was a bit of a setback. I started work on The Hulk's eyes and it went...sideways. The more I tried to correct, the more paint I used, meaning the more detail I lost. Eventually, the eyes looked ok but the rest of the face was mushy looking. I lost all the great detail in the nose and lips.

So, I stripped the face back to bare metal.
I'd rather paint him 10 times from scratch than settle for a half-assed job.

I promised to document every step. That includes my screw ups!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig his purple pants!

Would painting the eyes first and then painting his face make it easier to get the eyes right?

Monday, February 05, 2007 7:09:00 PM  
Blogger Greybishop said...

Lady -
I too dig the purple pants!
To answer your question, sort of.
The standard technique is to paint the base colour (black) and then brush on the subsequently lighter colours until the desired effect is produced on the largest area, his skin in this case. Then you go back and add the small touches.

Your idea of painting the eyes first is actually what I'm considering attempting. Problem is that you then have to work around the eyes which can be problematic. It's usually easier to ignore the small stuff until you've taken care of the larger parts, but the eyes on this figure are really quite poorly molded, so I'm thinking I might have to try a different approach.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another possibility might be to follow normal procedure EXCEPT no paint whatsoever on the eyeball. That way you'd create a "well", so to speak, for the eye paint to drop into....

Does that make sense?

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Greybishop said...

Good idea, Lady, except the eyes are raised. Doesn't show too well in the pic, but they are sculpted a bit higher than the surrounding area. That's why I start with black, since it gives the eye sockets some "depth" as I build up the lighter colours around it. I think the main problem this go 'round was a lack of patience on my part.
That happens sometimes.
Ok, a lot.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home